Saturday, June 11, 2011

Solo Travel

This winter I traveled to Malaysia, Thailand and Nepal on my own. I've done some solo traveling through Europe years ago, where I recall having more hassles as a woman.

In Nepal I really never felt on my own. It was so easy to meet people at every stage. At the farmstay, people just clicked and I loved learning about their treks and travels. Also I met some people with very interesting jobs like the Aussie woman who works designing and implementing environmental law and Katie who’s an architect specializing in green architecture. Some of the sustainable architecture is just mind blowing.

Then at the conference it was easy to meet people as my previous time in Japan was a tie in. Finally, on Sunday I took my computer to the lounge for cocktail time and got talking with a man from Kentucky and his Thai companion. I gained lots of insight into Thai politics, at least from the Red Shirt angle.

In Beijing I shared a hostel room with a woman and her daughter from New Zealand near Christchurch. Their home suffered no damage, they’d learned and they did give someone permission to let others with housing problems live in their home. The daughter was adorable, about 10 years old. She was writing a fantasy novel and read out several of the 12 pages she had so far. The mother had lived in Japan, mainly in Tokyo and was a Japanese translator. Her work brought her to China and she decided to make the trip extend beyond her conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment